I had great supper plans last night, either shepherds pie or squash chili, and was all set preparing my various ingredients (cooking dried beans, baking squash etc.) when the fire alarm started going off. My roommates and I dutifully opened all the windows, turned on the stove fan, and started fanning the fire alarm, but to no avail. Obviously we just needed to monkey with the alarm so we began to examine how one might turn it off when we realized it wasn’t our cooking causing the ruckus, the alarms in the rest of the apartment complex were blaring as well. We filed out of the building and joined our neighbors in the parking lot to find out that our building wasn’t in imminent danger, rather someone else’s dinner was transformed into charcoal, unbeknownst to them. Moral of the story here kids: don’t leave food on the stove unattended! (Fortunately for me the beans I had cooking on the stove didn’t add to the excitement courtesy of a roommate who has the brains to turn the stove off, even under duress) Anyways, after all was said and done and we were able to return to the apartment, the time for chili was past and I wanted something speedy. Tofu scramble it was! No amounts but this included: tofu, onion, carrots, mushrooms, kale, sun dried tomatoes, basil, oregano, turmeric, and nooch with some sesame oil roasted broccoli on the side. Perfect for a speedy dinner. Here’s hoping that chili/shepherds pie is a better plan for tonight!